Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for six (6) hours prior to the appointment.
- Please refrain from smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses and dentures can be removed at the time of surgery.
- Please avoid wearing lipstick, excessive makeup, jewelry, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office prior to arriving at the office for your appointment.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Whelan prior to your surgical date for instructions. Blood pressure medication should be taken on the day of surgery with a small sip of water.